The journey of a thousand miles literally does begin with a single step. It is all well and good to know your destination, but if you are not moving in that direction you will never actually get there. You can daydream and talk about how beautiful it will be when you become x, y, z but if you do not consistently move towards becoming, you will literally never be. You must also continue to find and fan the flames that motivate you to keep moving.
If you do not put words, imagery and milestones all around you the big dream might begin to look so unrealistic it fades and you might simply be left with your current reality. Can you see your dreams? Are they clear and well defined? In the day to day it is easy to lose your passion, fire and desire. Due to illness, laziness, sadness, loss, tiredness, distractions and a whole host of issues that might arise you might be tempted to give in to doing and being less. Don’t! There are some very practical ways to press towards progress. Let’s keep them in mind, implement them and use them to overcome obstacles as they arise.
- Take advantage of your bursts of energy. There are times when inspiration and motivation flood over us like waves on the seashore when the tide comes in. Run with these times! Ride these waves! If it comes late in the night – stay up and work on your passion. If it arrives first thing in the morning, clear your schedule and make it happen. If it comes after hearing a video, speaking to a certain person or listening to a particular song or sermon then have it on repeat, put in the work, play it again and put in more work. Repeat as often as you can.
- Surround yourself with imagery of where and who you want to be. Literally take the time to create pictures of your future. Cut out and save words and images of the visual representations of your dreams. Whether it is a business, a house, a car, a family, a vacation, a position, a prize, a figure in the bank… Whatever you want, have it literally before you, easy to see, easy to envision. Put your vision board/album somewhere where you can see it all the time and continue to build and expand it. Think of it as a blueprint. Before anyone sets about to build their dream house they first need to come up with the floor plans. Have a blueprint of your dreams that you can see so you do not forget the details or lose your desire for it to come to pass. The more you can literally see what you want, the more motivation you will have to continue to put in the work to attain it.
- Declare, declare, declare. If you know anything about the law of positive attraction and the power of the tongue you know you can send your words out ahead of you and they can help shape your reality. So begin to declare what you want to see and what you want to be as if it already was. Every day look at yourself in the mirror and speak positively over yourself and your destiny… “I am powerful. I am intelligent. I am able. I am hard working. I am wise. Good opportunities come my way and I readily seize them. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I am prosperous. I am successful. I am healthy. I am happy. I am (insert profession). I have (insert possessions/position). I am (insert future desired dream). My life gets better and better everyday.” Expand on it, personalize it, declare it out loud, believe it, receive it and achieve it!
- Call yourself out on your laziness and nip it in the bud. Often after relatively productive periods we tend to hit a bit of a rut where we take our foot off the accelerator and start coasting. If you need a short break, that is fine. It is important to live a balanced life and also take advantage of the blessings that exist in the present, but if you are simply being lazy, be honest with yourself. Do not ignore what you know needs to get done. Admit what you are doing or not doing and make a definite plan for when you will get back behind the wheel and continue driving towards the goals you have set for yourself. Make sure this happens very very soon. Never waste time in picking up the slack.
- Set weekly targets with consequences and rewards that you enforce based on failure or achievement. When you are too easy on yourself you end up doing yourself a disservice. If you allow yourself to keep coasting you will not cover a lot of ground. You end up wasting a lot of your time and living in a time and season for much longer than you need to because of laziness, excuses and the general passage of time which will not wait for you. Instead if you proactively set tasks and do something productive every week you get closer and closer to achieving your goals and living the life of your dreams. If you make this a habit your general productivity, focus and the pace of your progress will improve.
If this all feels like too much work, perhaps you should just throw the whole dream away and resign yourself to a smaller life. If you want to exert less energy and wish to scale down your plans, that is completely fine too. After all, success, contentment and happiness should always be defined on personal terms. If you do want more though, then you have to give more. The honest truth is living the life of your dreams requires you to get out of your comfort zone, invest time and effort and be diligent in using your gifts and talents.
It can be a very long road to get to the life of your dreams, so you need to ensure you do not run out of fuel on the way there. Stay disciplined, stay focused, stay positive, stay strong, stay motivated and stay determined. Enjoy the journey but certainly keep moving at a winner’s pace towards the spot you have marked in your mind’s eye. I spy with my little eye, someone armed with preparation about to look success and favour right in the eye! So don’t stop – continue to strive.